Build a stronger skill set from one of the highest-caliber training programs in the country
Vocalink is proud to be a licensed trainer of The Community Interpreter®, a nationally recognized interpreting training program for medical, educational, and social services interpreters. Developed by Cross-Cultural Communications, TCI is the only national training program in the U.S. for community interpreters.
TCI is a program of the highest caliber that promotes national ethics and standards of practice in the field and helps prepare interpreters to take the national medical interpreter certifications. The course covers:
- Ethics and professional conduct
- Interpreter protocols (from pre-session to post-session, positioning and turn-taking)
- Modes of interpreting (consecutive, sight translation, and a brief intro to simultaneous)
- Strategies for intervention
- Cultural mediation
- Other vital skills and topics
During our 40-hour program, interpreters will engage in role playing, activities, group exercises, and hands-on experiences. Video segments offer demonstrations, and a training manual and workbook are included. All participants will be tested for language proficiency to receive a certificate.
TCI provides linguists with the training and materials on which they can build a solid foundation for certification:
- Certification Commission for Healthcare Interpreters (CCHI)
- CCHI Handbook
- International Medical Interpreting Association (IMIA)
- National Board of Certification for Medical Interpreters (NBCMI)
- NBCMI Handbook